Autocomplete/Quick Fill problems in Transfer Funds Window

kasploosh at cox.net kasploosh at cox.net
Wed Jun 20 17:49:52 EDT 2007

Hello fine people,

I love GnuCash.  I have been using it since January of 2005 for all of my accounting needs, including accounting for pennies picked up off of sidewalks.

For almost all of that time, I was using version 1.8.something.  It was a little bit clunky but I dealt with it, never even needed to ask a question on an email list!

I recently upgraded to version 2.0.5.  I'm really impressed by all the upgrades, the tabbed layout, the icons, the look of it.  It's all around much better, smoother, and not clunky!

However I've run into one problem: Autocomplete (or Quick Fill?) doesn't work properly in a Transfer Funds window.  The way I enter receipts is to hit CTRL + T to get a Transfer Funds window.  I fill out that window and close it.

If it's a common transaction, I'm in habit of typing in the first few letters of the grocery store name, and then hitting enter and letting Autocomplete fill out the rest of the transaction.  However it no longer does this in my 2.0.5 install.

What it does instead is latch on to the first letter and not let go.  For instance, I type "G" for "Generic Grocery Store" and it locks on to the alphabetically first G, for example "Gas Station".  I should be able to hit "Ge" to get "Generic Grocery Store", but once I hit that first "G" it fills in "Gas Station" and I have to select all of the text, delete it, and start over!

What I have to do as a workaround is enter some spaces at the beginning of the line so that nothing will autocomplete, then type the description, then go back and erase the spaces.  Sucky!

Also, even if I am able to get the right autocomplete to come up, it still doesn't fill out the rest of the transaction!  In the past, I was able to type "Ge" to get "Generic Grocery Store", hit ENTER, and it would automatically select "Transfer From: Wallet" and "Transfer To: Groceries".  It no longer does this.

Autocomplete works PERFECTLY if I actually type in the Register.  It behaves just like it should, and just like it did before.  But I prefer using the Transfer Funds dialog, if only it were working right.

Has anybody else seen this problem?

I have two ideas of a possible cause:

1. I have an early release of the 2.X.X version, and it has some bugs in it that have been corrected in subsequent versions.

2. Because I created my Accounts file in version 1.8.X, then imported it into 2.0.5, the autocomplete data are screwed up.

P.S. I did try to search the archives of the user group for such information, but didn't find anything.  Also sorry for the length of this document.

F.F.