Problem Creating Stock Account

John Robinson notforuce at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:46:28 EDT 2007

Hello,
I'm new to gnucash, only coming onboard since the port to Windows. I'm using
version 2.1.4. I'm experiencing a problem creating a stock account manually.
I have been practicing, using accounts created by the New Account Hierarchy
druid; however, I want a customized accounts tree. I have no need of the
Brokerage account, so have created an 'Investments' account under Assets. I
then attempt to create a stock subaccount called 'Shareholdings', similar ro
the 'Stock' account created by the druid.

The problem arises in that I am always asked to enter a commodity, even
though it is just a placeholder for individual stock accounts beneath it. I
have tried mimicking the settings of the 'Stock' account created by the
druid, but with no success. The druid-created 'Stock' has a
security/currency of GBP, yet I cannot duplicate this manually.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.
John