Problem Creating Stock Account

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 17:12:41 EDT 2007

On 22 Jun 2007, at 3:46:28 PM, John Robinson wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm new to gnucash, only coming onboard since the port to Windows.
> I'm using
> version 2.1.4. I'm experiencing a problem creating a stock account
> manually.
> I have been practicing, using accounts created by the New Account
> Hierarchy
> druid; however, I want a customized accounts tree. I have no need
> of the
> Brokerage account, so have created an 'Investments' account under
> Assets. I
> then attempt to create a stock subaccount called 'Shareholdings',
> similar ro
> the 'Stock' account created by the druid.
>
> The problem arises in that I am always asked to enter a commodity,
> even
> though it is just a placeholder for individual stock accounts
> beneath it. I
> have tried mimicking the settings of the 'Stock' account created by
> the
> druid, but with no success. The druid-created 'Stock' has a
> security/currency of GBP, yet I cannot duplicate this manually.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> John

You may have to have the brokerage account layer. I had a similar
problem attempting to customize when starting out, and the only way I
ever got it to work was to put back what I thought was an extra layer
(I think I was trying to leave out the generic Stock placeholder
account...). The default brokerage account is a 'Bank' type account.
Perhaps the method of determining value depends on having a currency
denominated bank account between the Asset account and the stock
placeholder. It does seem odd. I hope someone who knows the code can
inform both of us.

Dave
--
David Reiser