Should I reconcile transactions?

Daniel daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jun 23 17:34:42 EDT 2007

Hello,

Should I reconcile transactions? I haven't reconciled any of my
transactions because I might make a change later. I'm still learning
GnuCash and sometimes I re-organize my accounts, or put transactions in
different accounts.

What is the benefit of reconciling a transaction? Does reconciling mean
that I can no longer edit the transaction?

Let me give an example. Yesterday I had the following expense accounts:
- Groceries
- Home & Office

Today I decided to replace those by:
- Living Expenses
- Work Expenses

Some of the transactions that went into "Home & Office" where moved to a
different account. Would I have been able to do this if the transaction
had been reconciled? My understanding is that this wouldn't have been
possible.

I'd welcome any advice. I'm just trying to learn the optimal way to use
GnuCash.

Cheers,
Daniel.