Autocomplete/Quick Fill problems in Transfer Funds Window

kasploosh at cox.net kasploosh at cox.net
Mon Jun 25 18:11:50 EDT 2007

Derek,

Thank you for your time and attention.  I tried to send a reply earlier but I think it didn't go through.  Here is the outcome of my work on this issue.

a} I was unable to compile a newer version of GnuCash for my system.  I have a fairly common system, but it's set up as a workstation only, not as a developer system.  So when I went to compile, it was missing all these developer packages.  I tried to install them one by one, but in the end it just didn't work.  I'm using Debian 4.0 Etch on an avearge PC.  Is there any chance of finding a port or a package of a newer version of GnuCash, rather than trying to compile it myself?

b) The workaround you described sounded good, so I tried it.  Unfortunately the result was negative.  Here's what happens:

1. I want to enter a receipt for groceries bought at Generic Grocery Store.
2. I type "G" and autocomplete brings up "Gas Station"
3. Move the cursor one space to the right and type the "e"in Generic.
4. Now all I have is "Geas Station"
5. Select all the text and start over.

In other words, the problem is that the first entry found becomes fixed in place, and can't be changed by further typing.  Also, the rest of the transaction, such as From and To accounts, don't autocomplete at all.

Thanks again for your help!