Autocomplete/Quick Fill problems in Transfer Funds Window

warlord at MIT.EDU warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 25 18:27:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

Quoting kasploosh at cox.net:

> Derek,
>
> Thank you for your time and attention.  I tried to send a reply
> earlier but I think it didn't go through.  Here is the outcome of my
> work on this issue.
>
> a} I was unable to compile a newer version of GnuCash for my system.
> I have a fairly common system, but it's set up as a workstation only,
> not as a developer system.  So when I went to compile, it was missing
> all these developer packages.  I tried to install them one by one,
> but in the end it just didn't work.  I'm using Debian 4.0 Etch on an
> avearge PC.  Is there any chance of finding a port or a package of a
> newer version of GnuCash, rather than trying to compile it myself?

apt-get build-dep gnucash    (assuming that "gnucash" is a 2.x version)

> b) The workaround you described sounded good, so I tried it.
> Unfortunately the result was negative.  Here's what happens:
>
> 1. I want to enter a receipt for groceries bought at Generic Grocery Store.
> 2. I type "G" and autocomplete brings up "Gas Station"
> 3. Move the cursor one space to the right and type the "e"in Generic.

You missed the step "delete everything else" before you type the 'e'.

> 4. Now all I have is "Geas Station"
> 5. Select all the text and start over.
>
> In other words, the problem is that the first entry found becomes
> fixed in place, and can't be changed by further typing.  Also, the
> rest of the transaction, such as From and To accounts, don't
> autocomplete at all.
>
> Thanks again for your help!

-derek