Is GnuCash Windows ready for a non-programmer? Will it be eventually?

John Roberts textpxy at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 16:00:28 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm interested in using GnuCash on Windows, but I'm not someone who is going
to be digging through the code fixing problems.  My general question is
whether GnuCash on Windows is at a stage yet where it's worth considering as
an end user, and whether normal users at this point would be helpful to the
project or a distraction.

For example:
-- Are the core features stable enough that it's reasonably usableon a
day-to-day basis?  I don't mind using under-development software which
crashes occaionally (so long as my data isn't getting corrupted) or where
non-core features are a bit flaky.  At the same time I don't want to have to
re-enter all my checking account or investment transactions every week.
(I'm intending to use this as a replacement for a Quicken -- which has
worked fine except that I don't like Intuit's "sunset" policies and I want
to support free software.)
-- Will my using the program be helpful to the GnuCash effort?  For example,
if I find bugs, is there any nice way to report them that won't either
require me to dig through the code or upload all my financial data?

In general, is GnuCash headed in a direction where it'll be a viable
alternative for the masses of us who run Quicken/Money on Windows?  My sense
from lurking here a bit is that it's a well-loved niche project, that has
the potential to massive expand its user base by allowing Windows users to
come over...