"Unspecified fatal error" on Windows

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Fri Mar 9 15:07:47 EST 2007

Hi,

On Do, 2007-03-08 at 01:29 -0800, Dave Walton wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> After a few years absence, I decided to try moving back to GnuCash,
> though the only system I have available at the moment is a Windows box.
>    So I downloaded and installed the Windows binary linked to in the wiki.
>
> It runs ok, though not perfectly.  The couple reports I tried crashed
> it

oh.  Could you please elaborate on these crashes?  How can one reproduce
them and what errors are printed? (see below)

> but the basic functionality (which is the most important part) seems
> to work without a problem.
>
> I used it for a week or so, setting up accounts and entering data, with
> little problem.  Then tonight, after some data entry, I saved and
> exited.  Later, I remembered something I had to enter, and went back to
> it.  When I tried to run GnuCash, I got a dialog that says "Unspecified
> fatal error encountered, aborting."  I tried rebooting, and moving away
> my data file, and even all the dot-files in case they were corrupted,
> but nothing I do gets me past that dialog.
>
> If I log into another account on this computer, GnuCash still runs.  So
> the application itself is fine.  But I am completely unable to run it in
> my main account.  Anyone got any idea what the problem is?  And what
> caused it?

hm.  You will have to find the corresponding gnucash.trace, it should be
in c:\Documents and Settings\$user\Local Settings\Temp, at least I think
so.  Please check these files for errors or mail the newest completely
to the list.

Thank you!

> Dave

-- andi5