"Unspecified fatal error" on Windows

Dave Walton dwalton at acm.org
Thu Mar 8 04:29:35 EST 2007

Hey all,

After a few years absence, I decided to try moving back to GnuCash,
though the only system I have available at the moment is a Windows box.
   So I downloaded and installed the Windows binary linked to in the wiki.

It runs ok, though not perfectly.  The couple reports I tried crashed
it, but the basic functionality (which is the most important part) seems
to work without a problem.

I used it for a week or so, setting up accounts and entering data, with
little problem.  Then tonight, after some data entry, I saved and
exited.  Later, I remembered something I had to enter, and went back to
it.  When I tried to run GnuCash, I got a dialog that says "Unspecified
fatal error encountered, aborting."  I tried rebooting, and moving away
my data file, and even all the dot-files in case they were corrupted,
but nothing I do gets me past that dialog.

If I log into another account on this computer, GnuCash still runs.  So
the application itself is fine.  But I am completely unable to run it in
my main account.  Anyone got any idea what the problem is?  And what
caused it?

Thanks,
Dave