Basic question: getting quotes from AEX

David Hampton gnucash at love2code.net
Fri Mar 9 15:14:24 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:18 +0000, Leo Breebaart wrote:
> I have two simple questions about GnuCash 2.0.5 (running on
> Debian/unstable) that I am not able to answer, even after looking
> at the documentation.
>
> 1) I am trying to track the price of a fund such as ASNML. This
>    is a fund available from the Dutch stock exchange AEX (i.e.
>    you can search for it and see/download its price on-line
>    through http://www.aex.nl/).
>
>    Now AEX is also one of the possible values for the "Get Online
>    Quotes" field in the Securities Editor.
>
>    So: what, if anything is the right combination of settings
>    that I have to use to make automatic quote-getting work?
>    Everything I have tried so far in the Securities Editor seems
>    to lead to "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items" when I
>    try to "Get Quotes" in the Price Editor.

The problem here is not gnucash, but the Finance::Quote project that it
uses to get quotes.  The gnc-fq-dump auxiliary program gives you an easy
way to see what information F::Q returns for a stock or fund.  If I
run...

	gnc-fq-dump AEX ASNML

... I get no data back.  This symbol doesn't resemble the test AEX
symbols in the F::Q code.  Those all appear to be fund names like "AAB A
NEDERLANDCRT" and not symbols.  F::Q still passes its test cases for
AEX, so I'm guessing there's a disconnect between how you are accessing
the site vs how the original author of the code accessed the site.  As
far as I can tell, that F::Q module was written for AEX before it was
absorbed into  EuroNext.  I have not seen any update that mentions
EuroNext, nor is there a EuroNext module for F::Q.  You could try asking
on the F::Q mailing list finance-quote-devel at lists.sourceforge.net and
see if one of the developers who has worked on AEX answers.

> 2) In the GnuCash tutorial, section 8.6.5 (_Making Stock Value
>    Reports_) there are screenshots of what appears to be an
>    "Assets Over Time" report. I cannot seem to find this anywhere
>    in the available reports in the actual program. Am I
>    overlooking something? If not, is there another report I can
>    use that does something similar? I tried a couple of things,
>    but nothing seems to come close.

That picture appears to be from an "Asset Barchart" report.

David