QIF import failure

James A. de Haseth jdehaseth at snappydsl.net
Mon Mar 12 12:57:44 EDT 2007

My experience is that such a large file is somewhat doomed.  I expect
that you are importing from another app that has at least several
different accounts, e.g. checking, credit cards, savings, plus budget
codes.  The QIF importer does a good job, but trying to unravel all the
threads between the accounts is very difficult.

I'd suggest breaking the file into separate accounts.  It can be edited
with a text editor.  Try importing one account/budget code at a time.
You can save yourself a lot of headaches if you preprocess your qif
files with sed, by replacing accounts with the gnucash names, or adding
accounts to qif entries where there is none.

As far as the date is concerned, check the qif for lines such as
Dmm/dd/yy or Ddd/mm/yy, depending on location.  These are the
appropriate formats.  Somewhere the format is messed up.

Jim