"Unspecified fatal error" on Windows

Dave Walton dw-gnucash at digger.net
Sun Mar 18 17:03:36 EDT 2007

I just managed to stumble across the cause of this ongoing crash that
prevented me from running GnuCash (though not the original cause of the
problem).

When I looked for the log files below, I had noticed that c:\Documents
and Settings\$user\Local Settings\Temp contained over 1GB of junk, and
just now went in there to see if I could clean it up any.  (Why on earth
don't the programs that write there clean up after themselves??)  While
going through there, I found a file (c:\Documents and
Settings\$user\Local Settings\Temp\gconfd-$user\lock\ior) which had a
timestamp matching the FIRST time GnuCash failed to start.  That is, it
had the same timestamp as the log file below which contains a reference
to "line 29".

I moved that 'ior' file away, and GnuCash now starts without a problem.
 It appears that the "line 29" error which started this caused a
corrupted 'ior' file to be created, and all the subsequent "line 76"
errors are a result of GnuCash's inability to handle that situation
gracefully, or even communicate clearly what the problem was.

So, hopefully this information about my experience will be of help to
other users, and will help the developers prevent the problem entirely
in the future.

Dave