Some more noobish questions

Douglas Wade Needham site.gnucash at ka8zrt.com
Fri Mar 23 18:31:23 EDT 2007

Greetings All,

While I have had my eyes on GnuCash for some time, and have used it in
a very limited basis for managing some billing for consulting a couple
of years ago, I have reached the point where I am wanting/needing to
track our family finances to a degree of detail where GnuCash is a
necessity.  As a result, I have some questions for which I have not
been able to find good answers in the concepts or users guides, nor
elsewhere (though my searches of the mailing list may have missed
them).

1) I have a large number of files in CSV, QIF, OFX/QFX which I have
   periodically downloaded from our bank periodically.  I want a
   good history to look at, which means that between all the different
   sub-accounts (checking, savings, car loan, credit cards, etc.), I have
   around 80 OFX files I wish to import.  Some of these files also have an
   overlap, and unfortunately I know there are some gaps I will have
   to go back and enter manually when I finally reconcile the
   accounts, but is there a way I can easily import all these files
   without going through them file by file?

2) Is there a way to setup a SX to compute and apply interest
   automatically to these accounts.  Or should I just let this info be
   entered when I import new transactions from my bank?

3) I also have a home loan for which I have a current statement, and I
   wish to have GnuCash setup the accounts, and if possible, SX
   entries for an existing loan.  Am I correct in thinking I should
   use the Mortgage and Loan repayment druid, then adjust the values
   when I reconcile to match the current values?

4) This one is a really interesting one... I am in the process of
   inheriting my father's estate, which includes stock, bonds, etc.
   How does one really go about entering these, as there is no way for
   stocks and such to be listed under Equity, like other opening
   ballances would be.  Is this something which really needs to be
   added as a new feature, and hence have an RFE filed for it?

5) I noticed something about SX which I think might also be something
   needing enhancement.  I am paid on the 15th and last day of the
   month, and SX works fine for this most of the time, except when
   that time would fall on a weekend or holiday.  SX would post the
   transaction after that date, but for things like payrolls, these
   transactions would actually occur before the date.  Is this
   something which can be done, but takes a trick, or does this need
   an RFE filed for it at the same time I check to see if a bug has
   been filed for instances when the dates are specified as the 29th/Last,
   30th/Last, or 31st/last?

More questions forming (such as if one can take a 401K payroll deduction and
automatically have SX post the shares purchased into a retirement
account.)

Thanks all in advance!

- Doug