Upgrading in Ubuntu

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:01:02 EDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> "Tommy Trussell" <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I believe the Ubuntu practice is to put a stake in the ground on a
> > rigid schedule, so once that date passes, nothing in the release
> > changes EXCEPT for security updates.
>
> Actually, 2.0.5 WAS a security-related release.  That's how I
> was able to convince Thomas to update the Debian version, too,
> even after the Debian cutoff date.

That seems too rigid.  Somebody should send a note to Mark S. that
security fixes are important, but so are critical bug fixes (i.e.
fixes that correct data corruption or serious crashes).

The other option is to look really hard for security fixes, although
I'm sure it's hard to find security fixes for a program that runs in
user space anyway.

--
Eric Ladner