Proper way to record RSUs

Jason Ahrens jason at cougarcorp.net
Wed May 23 18:07:07 EDT 2007

Jason Ahrens wrote:
> So, I think I got this figured out... Does this sound reasonable?
>
> 1) RSU grant does nothing. They arn't "mine" yet and have no value to
> me, so there  is no record of them.
> 2) When the RSU's 'lapse' there is a selloff initiated on my behalf for
> taxes. This would come right from an 'income' account into a
> 'withholding tax - rsu' account.
> 3) The other RSUs go into an investment stock account "investment - Stock"
> 4) Sales of this stock happen as normal.
>
> I'm still unclear on the tax implications. If I sell off the shares at
> that point, they're subject to capital gains but I'm not sure on what
> amount (the value at grant or the value at lapse?)
>
> This sounds reasonable... Am I on track?

This eventually sorted itself out. This week I received in the mail a
statement from the company specifying "how" the tax sale happened
(Medicare, federal, etc...) which made it instantly clear what I had to do.

Only point I'm not 100% clear on is the income source. I ended up using
my Income:Bonus account for it. Seemed to make sense, I guess...

Jason