Different dates for splits of a transaction

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Thu May 31 05:42:12 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-31, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> Suppose I transfer money from my account at bank A to my account at
> bank B. It leaves A on 15 May, but arrives at B only 17 May. Gnucash
> has a date only for the overall transaction, all splits have the same
> date. How should I manage that situation? Putting 15 may is not right
> (it won't agree with my statements from B) and putting 17 may is not
> right either (it won't agree with my statements from A).

(I'm not an accountant but) I think you _could_ do something like
this:

15/05  Bank transfer ref.9876
       Assets:Bank A                     Cr $100
       Assets:Funds in transit   Dr $100

17/05  Bank transfer ref.9876
       Assets:Bank B             Dr $100
       Assets:Funds in transit           Cr $100

but IMHO it's not worth bothering.  Just use one transaction dated 15
May, and mark each part of the transaction separately as cleared when
it clears.

If you carry this "in transit" idea to its logical conclusion, you'll
end up doing something like this every time you write a check:

15/05  Check 1234
       Liabilities:Outstanding checks       Cr $100
       Expenses:Groceries              Dr $100

and then, when the check clears,

19/05  Check 1234
       Assets:Bank A                        Cr $100
       Liabilities:Outstanding checks  Dr $100

which is a lot of unnecessary hassle.  I don't think real accountants
do this sort of thing --- except for genuine accruals and deferrals
over a long term and involving a significant amount of money.