Bank Interest in Wrong Column on Reconcile

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 8 21:48:40 EST 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 08:04:23PM -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:

| About the time I upgraded to 2.0.5, when I reconciled a bank
| statement, the interest for each statement started going into the
| "withdrawal" column instead of the "deposit" column, and I have to
| manually move the amount to reconcile the statement. This is still
| happening in the current version.
|
| I have not seen an obvious way to change the default behavior. When
| the Interest dialog of the reconcile process comes up, the dialog
| shows two account selectors, but the selector on the right ("Reconcile
| Account") stays inactive (greyed out), and if I choose my Interest
| Income account in the left selector ("Payment From"), it complains
| that I can't transfer to and from the same account.

I have been seeing this for a while (at least a few months) now.  When
reconciling an account, the dialog that prompts for the interest
earned transaction reverses the debit and the credit account.

The dialog correctly identifies the other account in the previous
month's transaction (interest income) but incorrectly selects it as
the debit account.  The debit account can not be changed in that
dialog.  For the credit account I must then select the (asset/bank)
account being reconciled.  Naturally this creates a transaction with
the debits and credits reversed.  I have been dealing with it by
editing the created transaction before finishing the reconciliation.

It might not be related, but I have the same problem using the OFX
import for my 401(k) contributions.  I have a SX which debits an asset
account, in USD, the amount withheld from my paycheck.  When I import
the OFX from the broker, that asset account is used as the brokerage
account and the various subaccounts are used for the funds.  The
import does everything correctly, except that it debits the brokerage
account (it should be a credit since the cash was used to purchase
shares) and credits the fund accounts.  This causes gnucash to report
a negative share price because the quantity is correct.  I am likewise
manually correcting these transactions after the import.

-Derrick

--
If your life is a hard drive,
Christ can be your backup.