Bank Interest in Wrong Column on Reconcile

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 22:25:54 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Derrick Hudson wrote:

> [...]
> It might not be related, but I have the same problem using the OFX
> import for my 401(k) contributions.  I have a SX which debits an asset
> account, in USD, the amount withheld from my paycheck.  When I import
> the OFX from the broker, that asset account is used as the brokerage
> account and the various subaccounts are used for the funds.  The
> import does everything correctly, except that it debits the brokerage
> account (it should be a credit since the cash was used to purchase
> shares) and credits the fund accounts.  This causes gnucash to report
> a negative share price because the quantity is correct.  I am likewise
> manually correcting these transactions after the import.
>
> -Derrick
Can you look at your OFX data and see whether the interest is reported
as a positive or negative number?

I've seen some indication that +/- signs for dividends and interest in
401K ofx data files from some brokers might be the opposite of what
they are in non-retirement accounts. I'll  have to dig out some of my
ofx data to make sure I know which way mine come in, but I do know
401k ofx specs are more recent than some other parts of the spec, and
implementations might be inconsistent.

I only hope that all 401k accounts are at least consistent. Then we
could solve the problem with another function in the importer.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net