transfer funds currency gain(loss)

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Thu Nov 8 22:19:01 EST 2007

--On November 7, 2007 8:57:19 AM -0500 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
wrote:

> Carl <ct at turner.ca> writes:
>
>> (1) US$ funds (payments from invoices) are deposited into my US$
>> account.
>>
>> (2) Periodically amounts are transferred from the US$ account to my
>> CAN$ checking account. I used the transfer funds dialog to do this.
>>
>> Where is the currency gain(loss) recorded?
>
> You need to manually add them as splits to the transaction.  You
> cannot do that from the transfer dialog, and gnucash currently wont
> add them for you automatically.

See <http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/tutorial.html> and
<http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/gnucash.html> for
another way to handle multiple currencies.  I have a set of changes to
make Gnucash do this more or less automatically, but they aren't in the
official version.  You can also create the necessary splits manually.

Mike Alexander           mta at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6