recovery

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 9 08:37:32 EST 2007

Quoting Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Maybe..  Or maybe we need to change how we store a gnc_numeric.
>> SQLite is one of the target systems, unless you can show another
>> system that provides a single-file database with a SQL interface.
>> BerkeleyDB certainly doesn't count, and embedded MySQL doesn't
>> store all database tables in a single file.
>>
> Briefly, why is it necessary to store all database tables in a single file?
> While I do not run MySQL on my machine (I run postgreSQL that also uses
> multiple files; in fact mine uses multiple partitions (one on each hard
> drive), it is not clear to me why you would want to keep everything
> in one file.

This has been discussed many times on the -devel list.  I suggest you
look at the archives there.

> Is it a backup and recovery issue? I do not know about MySQL, but postgreSQL
> has its own backup and recovery system so you can do a backup while the
> database is running.

It's because we want something that acts just like the "File Backend"
and provides a single file for backup, movement, etc...  Also, we want
something that doesn't require any external setup or external processes.
Embedded-MySQL provides the latter but not the former, and it still stores
tables in separate files.

The idea is to replace the file backend with a SQL backend that TO THE USER
still looks like a File Backend.

Follow-ups to gnucash-devel, as this is no longer a "user" question.