recovery

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 9 08:28:24 EST 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Maybe..  Or maybe we need to change how we store a gnc_numeric.
> SQLite is one of the target systems, unless you can show another
> system that provides a single-file database with a SQL interface.
> BerkeleyDB certainly doesn't count, and embedded MySQL doesn't
> store all database tables in a single file.

Briefly, why is it necessary to store all database tables in a single file?
While I do not run MySQL on my machine (I run postgreSQL that also uses
multiple files; in fact mine uses multiple partitions (one on each hard
drive), it is not clear to me why you would want to keep everything in one file.

Is it a backup and recovery issue? I do not know about MySQL, but postgreSQL
has its own backup and recovery system so you can do a backup while the
database is running.

 ^^-^^ 08:25:01 up 17 days, 1:43, 1 user, load average: 4.20, 4.17, 4.20