Enabling Online Securities Quotes

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 12:04:25 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 1:19 AM, Andreas Köhler wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Am Montag, den 05.11.2007, 23:04 -0500 schrieb David Reiser:
>> OK. I know a little more about this now. Turns out gnc-fq-dump is
>> hard
>> coded to use /usr/bin/perl, so it will only work if you have all the
>> necessary perl modules CPANned into your system perl.
>>
>> Gnucash uses whichever perl the $PATH finds (first, supposedly), so
>> if
>> you get all the dependency modules installed in that perl, gnucash
>> oughtta work.
>
> Ah, right, that was me to make price-quotes accessible from Windows
> (no
> shebangs).  Would "/usr/bin/env perl -w" instead of "@-PERL-@ -w" and
> "/usr/bin/perl" in the perl scripts within src/quotes work for you?
>
> -- andi5
That would at least remove the inconsistency between gnc-fq-dump and
the other fq related scripts/dependencies.

It turns out that I'm now looking for the best way to enforce use of
the system perl for the fink installation of gnucash. Fink makes it
trivial to add (or remove) extra versions of perl. That messes up
quote retrieval, and sometimes leads to the "An unexpected error
occurred..." alert.

I think your proposed solution will work for folks that consistently
use a non-system perl, and I'll try something like "PERL=/usr/bin/
perl ./configure..."

Dave
--
David Reiser