how to enter a sale without going through accounts receivable?

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 11 14:28:17 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:45:54PM -0500, red at pixelearth.net wrote:
| I have just started with Gnucash, and am happy so far. I have set up my
| business account, but I don't understand how to handle the following
| basic situation:
|
| How do I enter a payment as a sale without first creating an accounts
| receivable transaction? What is the proper "transfer" account when
| entering in raw sales money that was not invoiced?

I think you are describing a cash sale.  That is, you sold something
and the customer paid cash at that time.  If so, simply debit cash
instead of A/R.  A/R is used (only) when you choose to extend credit
to the customer giving them the product and collecting the payment at
a later time.

    Account                                                      Debit Credit