wrong starting balance on reconcile

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 00:25:48 EST 2007

Having run into this a couple of times myself, I would recommend looking around
again for another account that is out of whack. If after close examination, it
doesn't pop up, create a dummy transaction against your Imbalances account, and
hope that sometime down the line you find out which transaction got screwed up
and can now be fixed. I simply created a "Zeroing Transaction" from Imbalances
to the account in question.

This circumstance would be an argument for closing your files every year and
starting up anew, but that's got its downsides.

I would hazard a guess that my solution wouldn't satisfy an accountant, but
it's the best I can come up with, and solves the immediate problem in my own
home finances. Yuck!

David