wrong starting balance on reconcile

Kim_Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 13 01:50:24 EST 2007

I had the same issues when I first started using Gnucash.  I almost ditched
Gnucash over what I thought was a pretty crappy reconciliation
implementation compared to Quicken when I first started using it.  Quicken's
reconciliation is a thing of beauty!

However, I have persevered with Gnucash, and it is just much better in so
many ways than Quicken, that I will not go back to the dark side.

I have resolved my concerns with the reconciliation function by ensuring
that the reconciliation balance agrees with the register balance at the
reconciliation date.  When you open up the reconciliation screen, check that
the balance shown for the selected reconciliation date agrees with the
actual register balance.  I have had to manulally change the reconciliation
screen balance to match the register a couple of times.  It then works fine.
I am sure that I have no earlier unreconciled transactions, or any other
problems in my "very clean" register.  It has then all worked fine, and I
have not felt too bent out of shape doing it.  My tension with the whole
Gnucash reconciliation thing has pretty much gone away now.

Regards,

Kim