Can't Parse

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 25 12:32:46 EST 2007

Hi,

Quoting JUNIPER <snijuniper at comcast.net>:

> (I don't think the gun was loaded.)

I'm afraid it was...

> The FAQ doesn't seem to fit my situation. After the upgrade was
> complete GC seemed to load and run fine. It was only after adding a
> couple of transactions and saving and closing that the problem popped
> up. The current data file was apparently successfully saved but GC
> now no longer runs. Why would hitting the "save" button overwrite
> some kind of essential other program, if that is what happens? I've
> saved a million times before with no problem.

No, it EXACTLY fits your situation.  GnuCash owns $HOME/.gnucash.
You erroneously stored your datafile there.  Previous versions of
GnuCash named the metadata file "Escape_url(file_fullpath)", but
in 2.x the metadata file was changed to just "basename(file)".  So
if your datafile was named ~/.gnucash/books/data, the metadata file
used to be ~/.gnucash/books/home[/]myname[/].gnucash[/]books[/]data
(where [/] is the escaping of "/")..  But as of now your metadata
file is now ~/.gnucash/books/data.  See the problem?

So, what happened is that as soon as you exited gnucash it wrote out
the metadata file as ~/.gnucash/books/data, overwriting your data file
~/.gnucash/books/data.

This is EXACTLY the FAQ entry.

Your only recovery is to go to a backup file and then move it OUTSIDE
your ~/.gnucash tree and then File -> Open it.

> Appreciatively,
>
> Steve J

-derek