Mixed Personal and Business accounts

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 25 15:22:56 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 02:55:12PM +0000, Karl Grant wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies regarding the set up of the accounts; I've got
> the accounting stuff more or less figured out (BTW: the accountant seemed to
> think it was funny that I was going to such trouble considering the meager
> income from this business :)  )

better to be separate now then to try and separate it when the
business takes off and you've got employees and investors etc etc
etc... :)

> However, now I'm stuck on a technical point, is there anyway I can link two
> separate files! For example, I've recorded a transaction in the Business
> accounts which I need to mirror in my personal accounts (this is the reason
> I had the two sets of account in the one file to start with!)

You have to do this just like any other separate entities would. You
have to record the transactions separately in each location. Sort of
like when my company gets billed by another. They issue an invoice and
record the transaction in the A/R accounts. I recieved the invoice and
record it in my A/P accounts. When they send me a statement, which is
essentially a summary of the actons in their A/R, I compare it to my
A/P and make sure it lines up before paying.

> I know that there is no export function for transactions (can anyone say
> lock-in :-) )  so I can't export the account and import it into the other
> file. But could I cut and paste from the XML or would that break
> relationships?

not advised.