Can't Parse

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Nov 27 08:27:23 EST 2007

Some general comments

>>Trying going "to a backup file and then move it OUTSIDE
>>your ~/.gnucash tree and then File -> Open it" resulted in the same problem
>>as before, but just on chance I tried something else and it worked fine.
>>Instead of trying to open GC via a data file or via the desktop icon, I
>>went to "Applications" and "Office" and tried it from there. It not only
>>opened immediately, but with the latest data.
>>
>>"All's well that ends well!"
>>
>>Steve J
>>

>I could only guess that there was a save to the *right* place which has saved
>your bacon.
>
>Does the FAQ say "Before upgrading, make a backup of your precious data" ?
>As someone who "lost'" 7 months of data in a hard drive crash I know this all
>too well. Re-entering data is very painful and that nearly happened to you
>here.

1) There is no particular reason for you to be having your books (and
the logs and the backups) in any of the GnuCash directories. Just
because that's where GnuCash would have them by default isn't relevant.
If you specify some other directory in which to save the books when you
first create them...
   a) The directory you specify for that is where GnuCash will place the
backups and logs every save.
   b) That directory will be on the list of places you can select when
from within GnuCash you use "open". May need to scroll down to see that.
   c) Having them elsewhere makes it much safer when you alter the
software. But doing this was sort of automatic for me. In this case I am
maintaining books for an organization so of course wanted the data kept
in a directory devoted to that organization's data.

2) ALWAYS backup all your user data before any software change.
Actually, you should have some regular frequency of doing backups even
if no software change. You decide how much of your data you can afford
to lose/replace --- a month's, a week's, a day's, etc. This advice is
not specific to GnuCash.