Multiple Currencies

Alan Larkin alan.j.larkin at ucd.ie
Wed Oct 3 14:46:56 EDT 2007

Thanks lads,

Thats much more complicated than what I was hoping for. After a very quick skim of those links, this
is what I have gleaned:

I use double entry.
I should maintain single currency accounts.
I should handle conversion via a pair of top-level "Currency" accounts (one for each currency).
I should route purchases in Sterling through the Currency accounts to convert them to Euro for storage.

So here's how I now think two transactions should look. The first withdraws £20 on my Visa, and the
second purchases some beer with the cash. The Alcohol account remains in Euro, so the transaction
must be routed through the Currency accounts (should view okay in fixed-width font):

Description                        Account                 Debit    Credit
Cash advance (1.00EUR = 1.45GBP)
                                    Currency:Euro           29.07
Cash advance fee                   Expenses:Banking Fees   02.00
                                    Assets:Cash (Sterling)           20.00
                                    Currency:Sterling                20.00
                                    Liabilities:Visa                 31.07

Description                        Account                 Debit    Credit
Beer (1.00EUR = 1.47GBP)
                                    Groceries:Alcohol       10.28
                                    Currency:Euro                    10.28
                                    Currency:Sterling       06.99
                                    Assets:Cash (Sterling)           06.99

Am I on the right track?

The problem is, this doesn't work! Looking at the Visa transaction, it appears exactly as above in
both the Liabilities:Visa and Currency:Euro accounts. But in Currency:Sterling, all the numbers are
missing!! That is, the descriptions and the account names are present, but the Debit and Credit
columns are empty. If I put something in them, they instantly turn blank again.

Any suggestions?

P.S.

Ian, thanks. Problem is I am about to move over there for a few months. I'm really anal about my
accounts. For 18 months I have accounted for every last penny and it gives me a warm feeling inside.
I'm not looking forward to moving over there and having only approximate records :(