Multiple Currencies

Stephen J. Gowdy Stephen.Gowdy at cern.ch
Wed Oct 3 16:27:52 EDT 2007

Hi Alan,
 	I work with many currencies (paid in US$, rent in EUROs and health
insurance in CHF). I make sure accounts have the correct type of currency
(so my Swiss account is in CHF, medical reimbursements too). I then have
Currency accounts (of type Asset). If I use my US credit card over here I
use the currency account to act as an intermediate between the Credit Card
and Expense accounts. There is no actual amount in the Currency account,
eventually I remove the blank split in the Currency account. Here is an
example;

11/04/07 Payot Lib.							0.00
 				Assets:Currency:CHF
 				Expense:Books		39.80
 				Liabilities:CreditCard		39.80

In the CreditCard account it has;

11/04/07 Payot Lib.							0.00
 				Assets:Currency:CHF
 				Expense:Books		33.60
 				Liabilities:CreditCard		33.60

Once I've reconciled my credit card statement I update the exchange rates
and remove the Assets:Currency:CHF split. When you enter the transaction
you need to adjust the exchange rate on each split, otherwise it ends up
blank on the other currency accounts.
 	Sometimes I don't need to use that account, for example a medical
expense that will be like the following when entered in the
Expense:Medical:Swiss account;

31/07/07 Pharmacie		Liabilities:CreditCard	549.20

This would appear in the credit card as;

31/07/07 Pharmacie		Expense:Medical:Swiss	470.80

 							regards,

 							Stephen.