HUGE problems with gnucash and Ubuntu 7.10, just released

Fredrik Persson fredrik.p.persson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 15:51:32 EDT 2007

The new Ubuntu release, 7.10, that's been out for a couple of days now,
includes the so called "visual effects" by default. This is, as I
understand it, Compiz Fusion desktop effects.

Gnucash does not work very well under Compiz Fusion, I just noticed. For
example, it is impossible to enter a date in a register by hand. This
may very well be a redraw issue, I'm not sure. There are a lot of other
graphic anomalies too. I'd post a screenshot, but I can't expose by
personal fincances to the list. I urge the gnucash developers to try and
run gnucash on a Ubuntu 7.10 box with visual effects turned on to see
for themselves. It is very easy to find bugs, they're all over the
place.

When I searched this list for related issues, I saw a thread about
something called "gnome-canvas" and how that was improperly used in
gnucash. Can this be another manifestation of the same problem?

Ubuntu is among the biggest Linux distributions out there, if not THE
most spread. At least for desktop use. Compiz Fusion is now included by
default. (Not *enabled* by default, but still.)

On my machine, the desktop is significantly *slower* when I *don't*
enable Compiz Fusion, so this is actually very annoying.

Regards,

Fredrik Persson