HUGE problems with gnucash and Ubuntu 7.10, just released

Fredrik Persson fredrik.p.persson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 05:22:11 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 16:51 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> Fredrik Persson <fredrik.p.persson at gmail.com> writes:
> > The new Ubuntu release, 7.10, that's been out for a couple of days now,
> > includes the so called "visual effects" by default. This is, as I
> > understand it, Compiz Fusion desktop effects.
> >
> > Gnucash does not work very well under Compiz Fusion, I just noticed. For
> > example, it is impossible to enter a date in a register by hand. This
> > may very well be a redraw issue, I'm not sure. There are a lot of other
> > graphic anomalies too. I'd post a screenshot, but I can't expose by
> > personal fincances to the list. I urge the gnucash developers to try and
> > run gnucash on a Ubuntu 7.10 box with visual effects turned on to see
> > for themselves. It is very easy to find bugs, they're all over the
> > place.
> >
> > When I searched this list for related issues, I saw a thread about
> > something called "gnome-canvas" and how that was improperly used in
> > gnucash. Can this be another manifestation of the same problem?
> >
> > Ubuntu is among the biggest Linux distributions out there, if not THE
> > most spread. At least for desktop use. Compiz Fusion is now included by
> > default. (Not *enabled* by default, but still.)
> >
> > On my machine, the desktop is significantly *slower* when I *don't*
> > enable Compiz Fusion, so this is actually very annoying.
>
> Can you please file a bug with Ubuntu?
>
> I think the presumption is that the gnome-canvas-based, custom register is
> the source of the issues.  Certainly it'd be nice if the register rewrite was
> done, but – well – it's not.
>
> In the mean time, it'd be good to have a known issue filed in Ubuntu-land for
> the problem, so that other people looking for support have a chance of
> finding it.

There already is a bug filed with Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/129867

My main point here is that since Gutsy just went official (2007-10-18),
this problem probably got a whole lot bigger on that day. Therefore, I
was hoping that the gnucash dev team could look over the priority list
on account of that.

(It's me who wrote this comment:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/129867/comments/4)

/Fredrik