Add report greyed out & editing posted invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 10 16:23:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

Sorry for the delay; I was on vacation last week and wasn't reading
any email.

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

> On Monday 03 Sep 2007, Paul Gear wrote:
>> 2.  Is it possible to edit the splits on a posted bill without marking
>> that and subsequent bills unpaid?  I've tried this before by unposting,
>> editing, and reposting, and ended up with bills that have been paid
>> marked as unpaid.
>>

> Not AFAIK.  Warlord wrote the business stuff, so knows it like the back of his
> hand... I can't say that I have noticed an unposted-reposted invoice/bill
> ever keep a paid status.

Okay, here's the scoop.

Technically, you shouldn't edit the splits on a posted bill manually.
Gnucash will make all attempts to foil you here.  You COULD attempt
and edit the XML file, but as always that's not supported and if
your data file is broken afterwards it's your own fault and we'll
just laugh at you.  The only "supported" way to update the splits on
a posted bill is to unpost the bill, make the changes to the invoice,
and then repost it.

Now, having said that, there DOES appear to be a bug somewhere that
can sometimes, in some circumstances, cause your amounts to get out
of sync after you re-post.  I have been completely unable to reproduce
this on my own, and nobody has been able to provide me a datafile and
a step-by-step guide that shows me how to reproduce the problem.  It's
always been:

  User: "hey, my file is in this state"
  Me:   "okay, what did you do to get there?"
  User: "I dont know, but I'm here now.  How do I fix it?"

So the problem can't be fixed, because *I* can't figure out how to
reproduce it.  Now, if you've seen this behavior yourself, and if
you can reproduce it, then by all means PLEASE file a bug report
and tell me how you did it so I can correct the problem.

>> warlord told me on IRC: "If all you do ..... <SNIP>

And I stand behind this remark, until you explain how it's wrong by
showing me a data file and telling me "if you just unpost and repost
invoice X then it does Y instead of just putting it back where it
was".