computer video screen problem...screen splits, doesn't update...Xgl/Compiz-Fusion/NVidia problem??

Will McCreight whmcc at attglobal.net
Wed Sep 12 18:20:13 EDT 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Is this only the register?  Or does it happen in other gnucash
> views as well?
>
> -derek
>
> Will McCreight <whmcc at attglobal.net> writes:
>

>> I have been using Gnucash for some time now for personal use of
>> checkbook features, and I like it a lot. However, I am having difficulty
>> with the video screen not updating properly and I think it has to do
>> with NVidia/Xgl/Compiz issues which then present themselves in the
>> Gnucash window while it is up. I am running OpenSUSE 10.2, newest Nvidia
>> drivers, Gnucash 2.2.0, Compiz-Fusion newest version. This problem first
>> arose when I updated drivers for NVidia and moved from Beryl to
>> Compiz-Fusion, and I have not had this issue with any other program
>> (other than it "breaking MythTV's ability to play back a recording",
>> which I have been able to fix with an environmental variable which
>> apparently turns off Xgl for that "session" of MythTV).
>>
>> When I open Gnucash, the left hand side of the window is correct, but
>> the right half of the window is black. When I click on the account tabs,
>> often the lower portion of the screen (on both left and right sides)
>> which displays the check register does not change, still shows the old
>> account info. When I enter a check and it now jumps up a line to allow
>> me to enter another check, there is a copy of the old data (a duplicate)
>> in the "new" line position until I click into one of its fields, and
>> then the line clears to blank to allow me to enter new data. Often the
>> left-right screen split happens, where one side of the check register
>> only updates to, say, the new account, while the other half still shows
>> the old account's data.
>>
>> I have been able to use Gnucash despite these difficulties, but it is at
>> minimum annoying, and at most, worrisome that I may lose data, or at
>> least confuse data.
>>
>> I think this is an issue with Gnucash and/or Compiz and/or the NVidia
>> driver not updating the screen properly. It has not crashed my X session
>> the way MythTV did for a while, before I discovered the NO_XV
>> environmental variable which MythTV apparently uses to turn off Xgl for
>> its session...might there be a similar switch or environmental variable
>> which Gnucash can use in my situation?
>>
>> I have been searching the internet for a similar complaint to mine, but
>> so far have found none.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanx in advance,
>> Will

Interestingly, when I have the accounts tab, plus my checking and
savings account tabs up, if the screen only partially redraws, or if I
switch from the accounts tab to the checking or savings tab and it
doesn' t redraw at all in the check register fields, if I click on the
View dropdown (don't even have to choose something off of the dropdown
list), the register fields then redraw properly, and I can click away
from the dropdown to cancel the dropdown list to get the proper view.
But if I click away from the accounts tab to say checking, sometimes the
icons above (like blank/split/jump) do not redraw (or reappear) unless I
swipe the mouse over that area without clicking.

I am sure this is a screen redraw issue...I have tried the Ctrl-R key
combo (refresh) but this does nothing to the screen...is there a key
combo which refreshes the screen? I can use the Alt-V key to pull down
the View dropdown, and that works to cause a refresh, then esc or cancel
that action.

In specific response to your question, in fact, when I switch both
checking and savings to View/Transaction Journal from View/Basic Ledger,
the problem DOES go away!! I could stick with that view, I guess, unless
we come up with a work-around. I will have to learn how the Transaction
Journal works to enter my data properly, as I am not used to what looks
like a double entry system of recordation. I will use this for now,
thanks for the suggestion.

Will