computer video screen problem...screen splits, doesn't update...Xgl/Compiz-Fusion/NVidia problem??

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 13 09:06:47 EDT 2007

Hi,

Will McCreight <whmcc at attglobal.net> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>     Is this only the register?  Or does it happen in other gnucash
>     views as well?
>
>     -derek
>
> Interestingly, when I have the accounts tab, plus my checking and savings
> account tabs up, if the screen only partially redraws, or if I switch from the
> accounts tab to the checking or savings tab and it doesn' t redraw at all in
> the check register fields, if I click on the View dropdown (don't even have to
> choose something off of the dropdown list), the register fields then redraw
> properly, and I can click away >From the dropdown to cancel the dropdown list
> to get the proper view. But if I click away from the accounts tab to say
> checking, sometimes the icons above (like blank/split/jump) do not redraw (or
> reappear) unless I swipe the mouse over that area without clicking.

So it's only the register itself that doesn't redraw properly?
The Chart of Accounts or Reports windows redraw fine?

> I am sure this is a screen redraw issue...I have tried the Ctrl-R key combo
> (refresh) but this does nothing to the screen...is there a key combo which
> refreshes the screen? I can use the Alt-V key to pull down the View dropdown,
> and that works to cause a refresh, then esc or cancel that action.

Well, yeah..

> In specific response to your question, in fact, when I switch both checking
> and savings to View/Transaction Journal from View/Basic Ledger, the problem
> DOES go away!! I could stick with that view, I guess, unless we come up with a
> work-around. I will have to learn how the Transaction Journal works to enter
> my data properly, as I am not used to what looks like a double entry system of
> recordation. I will use this for now, thanks for the suggestion.

Not the "View" I really meant, but I'm glad it's working for you.
I was asking whether you have the redraw problem in the Chart of
Accounts or in Reports.

The register itself is a GnomeCanvas and, well, pretty poorly done.
There's an effort underway to rewrite the register, but it's not
finished yet.  When that's done, hopefully we'll have a better
solution that's more resiliant.

Thanks,