Problems Running Report for Previous Year

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Sep 17 13:36:24 EDT 2007

> Just a point of clarification; the Balance Sheet report is definitely
> a report "as of some date", but it DOES ask for a "start date" so
> that it can compute the "retaining earnings".  This is due to the
> fact that gnucash doesn't really have true Period support and doesn't
> "close the books".

Well -- that's the sort of things I have been investigating during my
"evaluation".

a) There's no "period support" in the sense that you can't LOCK the
books against change entires affecting the past. You can of course
"burn" a copy of the books as they stand at any point in time which can
act as a verification that no change affecting a prior date has been
made. This would have to be done in any case if the person using GnuCash
to keep the books was a programmer (if you imagine any date lock would
keep one of us pros from altering the data a little naive).

b) There is no AUTOMATED close process. That doesn't prevent somebody
using GnuCash from doing a formal closing of all income and expense
accounts for the time period to the special (temporary) equity account
usually titled something like "Profit and Loss" and then this account
closed to the main "retained equity" as the gain or loss for that time
period. You would do this AFTER your final "Income Statement" report for
that time period and a printout of that report sitting in front of you a
great aid in doing the three (two split) closing transactions).

I have most certainly been testing the ability to (re)produce reports
for prior time periods and all seems to be working as I would have
expected. The lack of an automated close isn't a big deal for me as only
tens, not thousands, of income/expense accounts. But yes, would be a
time saver when lots of accounts to be closed.

Michael

PS --- For the purpose for which I am evaluating GnuCash (accounting for
a non-profit) the mode in which prior time period data is available is
useful. Although I haven't gotten around to this yet, when designing the
custom reports, will be doing some to compare and/or show side by side
different time periods (somewhat standard practice for the financial
reports of non-profits -- "how are we doing this year compared to last
year").