Guile 1.8.2 / SLIB 3a4 upstream broken

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:52:35 EDT 2007

Dear List,

Thus far I have not had much luck getting GnuCash to compile on Puppylinux.
Not really GnuCash's fault as I can't get Guile to work with Slib.  Now in
spite of the fact that the bug referenced in the GnuCash ./configure script
is marked "resolved",  upstream considers it open.  It is either a difficult
problem or a problem of low priority as it has been open since last Oct.

Solutions offered on this list range from "Downgrade Guile and SLIB" to
"Fedora figured it out, just use yum".  I haven't seen a single mention of a
known issue troubling the upstream.  The solutions are somewhat inaccessible
to me as the SLIB ftp site appears to distribute only the current version,
and Puppylinux doesn't use yum.

So here's my question: who packages GnuCash/Guile/Slib for fedora, and why
haven't they fed their fix back to the guile/slib codebase(s) like good
open-source citizens?  Alternatively, could an avid Scheme programmer in
this community, in a noble fit of enlightened self-interest, go clean up the
upstream mess? :)

My second question/request is: Is it possible to make Guile/Slib an
"optional extension"?  Would dropping the "extensibility" feature affect
core functionality like scheduled transactions, the "checkbook register"
interface, and reconciliation?

Bryce