splits seem messed up in 2.2

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Sep 22 16:34:54 EDT 2007

I just got the new 2.2.1 on Debian.  When I try to enter a split, things
seem to go badly wrong.  Is anyonen else seeing this, or have any idea
what the problem is?

When I enter a split transaction it gets converted into 2 separate
transactions, both defective.  However, deleting one will delete the
other.

This is new with 2.2; it was not happening before.  I have restarted
gnucash since the upgrade.

Recipe to reproduce:
1. start gnucash and do File | new file.
2. Create a new file accepting the common account defaults.
3. Create a new liability account "joe" under the main liabilities
entry.  (I don't know if this is essential).
4. Open that account.
5. Select View | auto-split ledger
6. In the first transaction give "various" as the description.
7. hit tab twice.
8. enter "line 1" in description. hit tab.
9: for account type Exp:Auto and hit enter, then tab.
10. enter 20 as amount, tab to next description.
11. enter "line 2", tab, Exp:Med, enter, tab, 35, tab
12. hit space to remove previous default entry.
13. first problem.  line 1's account has changed to Liabilities: joe.
(I had entered "joe" in the description of the next line, but I think
the change happened first).
14. Change the account for Line 1 back to exp:auto
15. In the new line's description, type "joe".
16. change teh account to lia:joe
17. hit enter.

I now see to entries for "various"  the first is closed and shows 55
in the "increase" column.  The second is still open.  The splits are
correct, but the top line shows and increase of 35.

If I hit enter again the 2nd entry now shows an "increase" of 25.

If I click on the first entry it expands.  It shows "increase" of 35
and line 1 with Liab:joe as the account.  The 2nd entry, now
compressed, shows "decrease" of 20.

If I click on the second entry I see it's top line shows "increase" of
35 and the 1st entry shows "increase" of 55.  The split for line 1 in
the expanded 2nd entry show account of Liabilities:Joe of 20 (in
"decrease).