Question on buying new shares (confused)

Hale Boyes, Kevin Kevin.HaleBoyes at encana.com
Wed Sep 26 12:56:14 EDT 2007

> Oh, I see! Hmm. This does sound fairly problematic. I haven't saved
GnuCash yet in fear that I won't be able to fix the amounts later
> once the fix is available. Or do you think it should be alright to
save for now? I get nightmares about unbalanced sheets whenever
> I use these tools :P

I was never able to fix up anything after I'd saved.  I always had to
delete the transaction/trade
and re-enter it again to get it correct.

>>	My work around is to set the LC_MONETARY environment variable
properly
>>	before I run GnuCash.  Sorry I don't know how to do this on
Windows.
>>	When I'm entering trades that go against a CAD cash account I
run GC as:

>>	LC_MONETARY=en_CA /usr/bin/gnucash file
>>
>>	and against a USD cash account:
>>
>>	LC_MONETARY=en_US /usr/bin/gnucash file

> I wish I could say I understood that, but I didn't. I haven't worked
with Java for such a long time now either.

> If I would do this manually, what would I have to do? Transfer, say,
$5000 to what account? Or will that make things worse
> later on? I'm toying with the idea of temporarily transferring funds
to a dummy asset account and using the dummy asset
> account for the stocks so that at least I know the correct amount in
my bank account -- but would this bring on more
> problems than I know?

I don't think a dummy account will help.  The problem comes from GnuCash
not being able to determine
the currency to use for the split/transaction so it ends up using a
default currency.  You can set
the default currency by setting the LC_MONETARY environment variable
before running GC.

Again, I don't know how to do this in Windows but what I showed above is
how I run the GnuCash
program on my Linux box from the command line.

K.

This email communication and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and or proprietary information and is provided for the use of the intended recipient only. Any review, retransmission or dissemination of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication and any copies immediately. Thank you.
http://www.encana.com