encryption

Toan T Nguyen nguyenthetoan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 15:16:06 EDT 2007

On 9/30/07, Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> wrote:
> "Toan T Nguyen" <nguyenthetoan at gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi , do you know if gnucash supports encryption?
>
> No, it intentionally does not.

 http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_it_possible_to_provide_security_for_GC_data_using_CFS.2C_etc..3F

Can't say I agree with this. This kind of thinking is the main reason
why Windows is much more user-friendly than Linux. Even a poor
security implementation in gnucash is better than none. Locks are
intended to keep honest person honest!, they can not defer criminals.
Same thing with a gnucash encryption implementation. A paranoid user
can always add more security layer to a basic Gnucash implementation.

> > If the answer is "NO". Can somebody suggest a good cross-platform
> > encryption program ? I currently use encfs in linux (so that I don't
> > need root access, or the mount/umount cumbersomeness). But this
> > program doesn't work with MS Windows.
>
> There are certainly similar folder-level programs for Windows, but they might
> not be cross-platform.  I'm not aware of any in particular.
>
> If you do specifically want something cross-platform, I'd suggest using gpg
> manually.  There might be a better option, however.

Thanks. I really insist on cross-platform feature folder-level
security. I'll look at it.

Toan