encryption

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 30 18:40:32 EDT 2007

Toan T Nguyen wrote:
> On 9/30/07, Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> wrote:
>> "Toan T Nguyen" <nguyenthetoan at gmail.com> writes:
>>> Hi , do you know if gnucash supports encryption?
>> No, it intentionally does not.
>>
>  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_it_possible_to_provide_security_for_GC_data_using_CFS.2C_etc..3F
>
> Can't say I agree with this. This kind of thinking is the main reason
> why Windows is much more user-friendly than Linux. Even a poor
> security implementation in gnucash is better than none.

I must admit that the logic in this FAQ entry seems poor.  Does GnuCash
do compression?  Yes.  Does GnuCash do a bad job of compression?  No.
Why?  Because it uses a well-tested library to do it.

Of course, i've never touched a single line of GnuCash code, so i have
no right to comment on this...  :-)

--
Paul
<http://paul.gear.dyndns.org>