Quickbooks to GnuCASH

Michael DeBusk michael at nlphilia.com
Tue Apr 1 03:04:27 EDT 2008

Tony Nelson wrote:

> If not, does anyone have any other ideas on how to perform this task?

I was concerned about transferring all of my data from Quicken 98 (hey,
it worked for me, so I didn't feel the need to "upgrade") to GnuCash. I
couldn't get it all imported without massive errors.

I finally made up my mind to archive my old data and start from scratch.
All I did was enter my opening balances. And I was surprised at how
little it bothered me. It didn't bother me at all, to be honest.

Of course, my books are personal rather than business, so your account
history means more to you than mine does to me. Still, I think it's
worth considering, even if you have to wait until the end of your
current fiscal year.

That said, I've looked at the sample IIF files from Intuit's site, and
they seem to be tab-delimited ASCII. If you open them in OpenOffice.org
Calc or in excel, you might be able to convert them with this:

http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/

(I've used it to convert CSV and it does work.)

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments