Quickbooks to GnuCASH

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:31:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Michael DeBusk <michael at nlphilia.com> writes:
>
> > Tony Nelson wrote:
> >
> >> If not, does anyone have any other ideas on how to perform this task?
> >
> > I was concerned about transferring all of my data from Quicken 98 (hey,
> > it worked for me, so I didn't feel the need to "upgrade") to GnuCash. I
> > couldn't get it all imported without massive errors.
>
> When was this?  There's been a lot of work on the QIF Importer
> recently and it really seems to do a MUCH better job, thanks to
> Charles Day.  But you need to be running 2.2.4 (plus an updated
> qif-to-gnc.scm) to get all the fixes.

I was wondering about that... I was a little shocked that Tony had
experienced so many problems with the QIF importer, but then recommended
using it on Quickbooks data (after the intermediate Excel step). Perhaps
thats the least-worst option, though. Also keep in mind that the QIF format
won't import some important QuickBooks data, like customers. I believe Derek
pointed that out earlier in another thread.

Tony, if you should ever decide to try importing your historical QIF data
again, I think you'll be happily surprised at the result. With all the
recent fixes to the QIF importer, I believe the only bugs that remain are
GUI-related. There are no outstanding bugs related to the actual conversion
of QIF data - only requests to support additional features.

Cheers,
Charles