Lots documentation

Daniel Hannum daniel.hannum at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:43:52 EDT 2008

I've been using GnuCash for many years and I've been managing without lots
support for most of that time. I've been doing what the concepts guide still
says to do and make the big transaction when I sell in which I set the price
to 0 in order to record the capital gain/loss. (I think this was a necessary
hack)

http://www.gnucash.org//docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html

My question is now with the shiny new lots support, do I still have to do
this? How can I switch from the old to new way of doing it? I wasn't able to
find any documentation on the lots system except for this wiki entry. It
sounds great, but doesn't offer any real getting started help.

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots

For example:
1. If I buy shares, what transaction should I put in? Is it what's in the
concepts guide or something else?
2. What about when I sell? Do I still need the complex transaction? Doesn't
the lot system compute the capital gain/loss for me?
3. What will happen to my old transactions? I read about a "Scrubber" that
will turn them into lots, but I don't know what I do with them once they are
lots.

I'm really happy for lots support, but alas I don't know how to use it!

Dan