Lots documentation

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 2 11:22:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

"Daniel Hannum" <daniel.hannum at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using GnuCash for many years and I've been managing without lots
> support for most of that time. I've been doing what the concepts guide still
> says to do and make the big transaction when I sell in which I set the price
> to 0 in order to record the capital gain/loss. (I think this was a necessary
> hack)
>
> http://www.gnucash.org//docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html
>
> My question is now with the shiny new lots support, do I still have to do
> this? How can I switch from the old to new way of doing it? I wasn't able to
> find any documentation on the lots system except for this wiki entry. It
> sounds great, but doesn't offer any real getting started help.
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots

As I said last week.... Lots support in GnuCash is incomplete.
You should continue to use the old method.

> For example:
> 1. If I buy shares, what transaction should I put in? Is it what's in the
> concepts guide or something else?

You should enter what's in the concepts guide for purchases.

> 2. What about when I sell? Do I still need the complex transaction? Doesn't
> the lot system compute the capital gain/loss for me?

Yes, you still need the complex transaction.  The Lot system is
disabled and will not compute cap gains/losses for you.

> 3. What will happen to my old transactions? I read about a "Scrubber" that
> will turn them into lots, but I don't know what I do with them once they are
> lots.

Good question.  Eventually once lots support gets finished we'll
have to deal with that.

> I'm really happy for lots support, but alas I don't know how to use it!

That's because you can't