Extent reports with diagrams by tables

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 11:58:10 EDT 2008

Joachim Herb <Joachim.Herb at gmx.de> writes:

> Hello Derek,
>
> thank you for your answer.
>
> Derek Atkins schrieb:
>>> I would like to extend reports which contain only a diagram by a
>>> table. The table should contain the values (and dates) used in the
>>> diagram.
>>
>> I know this has been discussed before so you should peruse the
>> list archives.
> Unfortunately I didn't find anything. Could you give some hints?

I'm afraid my connectivity for the next few days is poor enough
that I don't have the resources to do that.  I suggest google with:

  site:lists.gnucash.org

>>> The table should contain the dates and the "hight" of the bars. How
>>> can this be done for the total hight of a bar, how for the
>>> individual parts when using the option "stacked bars"?
>>
>> Are you trying to change the graph to include numbers?  Or do you
>> want to have a table that follows the graph (e.g. under it)?  The
>> former would be pretty difficult.  The latter would be much easier.
>> The latter would almost be the combination of the graph report with
>> a table report, and indeed you might even be better off just creating
>> a MultiColumn report where one entry has the graph and the other entry
>> is a table-based report..  And just set the timeframe settings the
>> same.
>
> I would like to have the table following the graph. Actually I
> wouldn't mind if there is only the table in the new report.

Okay.

> The problem is I haven't found an example in the reports supplied with
> gnucash which seem related to my ideas. Also I have very little
> experience with scheme.

Scheme is super simple to learn, which is why it's been used as
an intro CS language for decades.  Anyone can pick up the syntax
quickly.  Granted, mastering all the skills can take a bit more
time, but that's what online references are for.  I like the
"MIT Scheme Manual".

You can take an existing report that's "close" and then modify it
as you see fit.  See the wiki page on Custom Reports.

I presume you've played with the report options of the various
reports to verify that what you want isn't available?

> Is there something like a report API (application programing
> interface) for gnucash. Is there any description for it?

Yes, there is a report API.  It's the C API translated into Scheme.
You can see the C API via the Doxygen build.  Unfortunately the
documentation isn't complete.