installaion problem

Nathan Buchanan nbinont at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:47:43 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting snake doc <hpialda at praenet.com>:
>

> > hi there pls help im new in linux. i cant install gnucash error message:
> >
> > praenet:~/gnucash-2.2.4# ./configure
> > checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> > checking whether build environment is sane... yes
> > checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> > checking for gawk... gawk
> > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
> > checking for gcc... no
> > checking for cc... no
> > checking for cl.exe... no
> > configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> > See `config.log' for more details.
>
> Just like the error says.... This means you have no C Compiler.
> What Distro are you using?  You might try using a distro that
> comes with GnuCash like Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, or SuSE.

I think snake doc is still trying to understand how to install software in
general in linux. Snake doc, there's generally two ways to get software: 1.
compile it from source (If you're coming from the Windows world, this may be
a foreign concept), or 2. install a binary package from your distro using
your distro's package manager (this would be the closest analogy to a
Windows setup.exe method).

If you are compiling from source (as you tried above) you will need all the
tools to do so, for example, a c compiler. The easiest way to get a c
compiler would be to get the binary package from your distro.

Look into how to use your distro's package manager. A quick search on
"installing software on <your favourite distro>" should give you most of
what you need.

Nathan

> -derek
>
> --
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there" - Will Rogers