Matching two halves of a transfer between accounts.

Daniel Holt dmholt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 18:12:34 EDT 2008

Hi Daniel,

> This has come up before see
>
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2008-June/025746.html
>
> Rob
>
> 2008/8/5 Daniel Holt <dmholt at gmail.com>:
> > I've searched the lists to see if there is a way to do what I'd like, and
> > nothing seems to quite match - except for hints that maybe it' not
> > possible.  Apologies if I've missed something relevant previously posted,
> > may be ignoring an existing topic due to ignorance. I'm trying to set up
> > Gnucash for the first time.
> >
> > I pay my credit card by electronic transfer from my current account. Both
> my
> > credit card and current account transactions are available from my bank
> as
> > OFX files, so I have downloaded these and loaded them to Gnucash.  My
> > problem is that my payment appears as two unbalanced transactions, one in
> > the current account and one in the credit card account. I cannot find a
> way
> > to specify that these two transactions match and reconcile to each other.
> > Everything I try appears to produce an extra entry in one account or the
> > other.
> >
> > The best practical work-around I can find so far is to exclude the
> payment
> > transaction from the credit card import, then assign the payment from my
> > current account to my credit card account so the payment only appears
> once
> > in the credit card account as a balanced transaction.  As this is only
> one
> > transaction to exclude once a month it's not too onerous, but it seems a
> > shame to discard one half of the transaction when I do in fact have both
> > parts electronically already.
> >
> > >From what I have seen on the lists, it looks as if if there is no way to
> > force Gnucash to marry these two halves of the same transaction up if it
> > hasn't already done so based on information in the OFX file.  Or have I
> > missed something?
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> --
> Robert

Robert,

Thanks for replying, it's appreciated. I looked at that post, and it did
indeed seem relevant - however I was unable to reproduce the behaviour they
describe, despite trying the import of the two files a number of different
ways. I suspect that this might be to do with the level of information in
the OFX file, perhaps the file produced by the bank just doesn't contain the
data GNUCash needs to make a match. I'll see how I go by manually deleting
the payment from the credit card import after upload, as un-selecting both
the check-boxes on import doesn't seem to stop the transaction coming in
despite the import window message changing to "Do not import, no action
needed".

It may become a bit clearer once I've been using the program for a while.

Thanks,

Daniel