Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson simpson100 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:38:38 EDT 2008

> mucking about in the data file is most likely *not* the way to solve
> this. At this point, your best bet is to try and roll back to one of
> the backup files (ending in .xac).

Yes, I'm afraid you are right. Luckily I have backups. I'll have to
manually re-enter a month's worth of transactions. That should consume
one of my days this weekend. :-)

> As I recall, the proper way to handle the situation with a mistaken
> reconcile is to delete the incorrect transaction, enter the proper
> transaction, *ignore* the starting balance, and then reconcile to the
> proper ending balance.

This won't work. The ending balance of my account must obviously match
my statement. But as I check stuff off, the "reconcile number" is
computed and when I am done matching my statement, the reconcile
number will be off by $28.50 since it computes relative to the
previous *incorrect* value (and I can't adjust the reconcile number
because that is my original problem!). If the reconcile number is not
$0, I can't say accept. Catch-22.