Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 19:18:50 EDT 2008

Let me see if I understand you:

1) You entered a transaction for $28.50
2) You reconciled this against your bank statement which also had $28.50
3) You later found that it was supposed to be $2850
4) You deleted reconciled transaction A
5) You entered a new transaction for $2850

now it gets murky...

6) You tried to reconcile against a statement, and the statement had either
 a) a transaction for $2850 along with a credit for $28.50
or,
 b) a transaction for $2821.50 along with a note about the earlier error

I can't imagine any other options here...

In the case of 6a, you can either:
  I. Add back your original erroneous deposit (so that the first bank statement will be accurate) along with a debit for $28.50 and a deposit for $2850. This will then match exactly what your bank did.

or,
  II. Add only the $2850 transaction, understanding that the credit/debit pair for $28.50 were a wash (because they weren't "real"). The end balances should match, but the interim amounts won't.

In the case of 6b, you can either:
  I. Add back your original erroneous deposit (so that the first bank statement will be accurate) along with a deposit for $2821.50. This will then match exactly what your bank did.

or,
  II. Add only the $2850 transaction, understanding that the two credits were weren't really separate, but just an error. The end balances should match, but the interim amounts won't.

Does that clear things up?

David